Event: Sex workers win justice and the right to work safely
From the UK to the Bay Area: Sex Workers Win Justice and the Right to Work Safely
When: Friday, August 1
- 6:30pm Snacks, meet and greet Niki from London
- 7pm program starts
Where: 518 Valencia Street, San Francisco (16th Mission BART)
Guest speaker: Niki Adams, English Collective of Prostitutes. Also, Alexandra Berliner, Legal Services for Prisoners with Children; Rachel West, US PROStitutes Collective
Speakers will address:
- How UK sex workers won against mass raids and closures instigated by police and property developers attempting to take over the historic red-light district of Soho, central London, England. This is a crucial victory for the SF Bay Area to know about, as many of us face speculators, evictions and gentrification.
- The impact on sex workers’ safety of the recent FBI closure of Redbook, an online advertising venue.
- The ground-breaking victory winning compensation for rape for sex workers who were previously excluded from the California Victim Compensation Program.
- A challenge by formerly incarcerated people (FIPs) to end discrimination in compensation for rape and domestic violence; problems with the compensation program including the system of restitution. Many sex workers are FIPs and vice versa.
- A successful campaign against increased criminalization of sex work: Bill SB 1388.
- Stop the War on the Poor Campaign: how it strengthens our struggle for survival and against criminalization.
- Next steps and how you can be involved.
Called by: In Defense of Prostitute Women’s Safety, a project of US PROStitutes Collective and Legal Action for Women
Endorsed by: All of Us or None; California Coalition for Women Prisoners; Erotic Service Providers Union; Legal Services for Prisoners with Children; Queer Strike; Global Women’s Strike/Bay Area; Sin Barras
Contact: US PROS 415-626-4114 email@example.com www.uspros.net